The Louisville Bicycle Club presents:
2014 NEW RIDER / BIKE HANDLING CLASSES
Norton Sports Health physicians will be speaking to our New Rider Clinic participants about setting realistic fitness goals, the importance of conditioning, ways to prevent injuries, and more. Don’t miss these informative sessions. For more information on our presenters, click the link below:
Norton Sports Health Information
These classes are offered to the public at no charge. Riders who complete the New Rider Clinic will receive a free LBC jersey and a one-year membership in the Louisville Bicycle Club. ______________________________________________________________________________
To participate in these free classes, complete the following 2 steps:
Step 1: Click the link below to the League of American Bicyclists Smart Cycling/Traffic Skills 101 Course Release Form. Print it out, complete the form including your signature, and bring it with you to the first class of the session. [Also bring your bike and bike helmet to each class!!!]
Step 2: You MUST complete the following online registration. Each session is limited to 60 registrants.
NOTE: SPORTS MEDICINE PHYSICIAN DR. JEFFREY STEPHENSON WILL BE SPEAKING AT THE MAY 19 NEW RIDER CLINIC!!!!
Session 1: Mondays, 6 - 9 pm, April 28 thru June 9, Waterfront Park, Yellow Lot, Louisville, KY.
Session 2: Tuesdays, 6 - 9 pm, May 6 thru June 10, Childplace Campus, Jeffersonville, IN.
Session 3: Wednesdays, 6 - 9 pm, June 18 thru July 23, Ampitheater Parking Lot, Iroquois Park, Louisville, KY.
Session 4: Mondays, 6 - 9 pm, July 21 thru August 25, 4500 Bowling Blvd., Louisville, KY.
Each Session has 6 classes. Topics to be covered include:
||Bike basics - bike/helmet fit; traffic laws; ABC Quick Check.
||Gearing/shifting; lane positioning; parking lot drills.
||Five layers of safety; riding in groups; parking lot drills.
||Nutrition/hydration/clothing; parking lot drills.
||Tools & basic repairs; tire changing.
||Written & road test and evaluation.
Each class includes the following:
- One hour of instruction by seasoned riders followed by practice on your bike.
- An easy, 5 or 12 mile “practice” ride with traffic, signals, stop signs, lights, busy roads, park roads, and subdivision streets.
- Class participants are split into smaller groups of similar ability with instructors in the front and rear of each group. Individual instruction/assistance is provided if needed.
- Rest stops if and when needed – no one gets dropped or left behind.
- Follow-up discussion and evaluation after the rides.
- Certificates of Completion will be awarded to participants who attend five of the six sessions AND pass the written and road tests.
- Take-home educational material provided to all participants.
PLEASE PLAN TO ATTEND ALL CLASSES OF ONE SESSION.
MAKING UP CLASSES IN ALTERNATE SESSIONS IS DIFFICULT.
For more details, contact David Wittry at 502-645-0992 or firstname.lastname@example.org
THESE FREE CLASSES ARE SPONSORED BY NORTON SPORTS HEALTH IN SUPPORT OF THE MAYOR’S HEALTHY HOMETOWN MOVEMENT AND THE LEAGUE OF AMERICAN BICYCLISTS’ “BIKE FRIENDLY COMMUNITY” PROGRAM