Proposed rule changes (revised 11/27/14):
1) Go back to Stage #5 as last chance to enter tour and qualify as an official finisher, but…
2) Make it a 10 month season with one stage each in Jan, Feb, and March, two in April, and approximately 3 stages each for May thru Sept. Include multiple “flex dates” to repeat stages that may get canceled due to inclement weather throughout the season. There will be one scheduled “back-to-back” century weekend in the middle of the season as is tradition, and the opportunity for others if a "flex stage" is utilized.
3) Move the “Prologue” TT to late March/early April after Stage #2 or #3 to avoid the snow/ice situations we seem to run into year after year. Current rules don’t specify it HAS to be before Stage 1, and if we have a bunch of people tied for the yellow the first couple of stages before we sort out a true podium order, that’s OK.
4) Drop the “can’t miss more than four consecutive stages” rule, but bump up the # of stages to finish the tour to 10 and add “must ride at least one of the last 5 stages” to avoid anyone riding first half of season and then quitting.
5) Bring back the "abandon if have two consecutive DNFs" rule (but make exempt mechanical failures that can't be repaired on the road- ride captain will make judgment on what situations qualify on a given ride)